Build confidence, communicate better and achieve your goals.
Learn how to be more assertive, with our assertiveness skills training course, for improving communication in the workplace.
Assertiveness training provides individuals with the skills and knowledge to enable them to communicate more confidently and effectively, using assertive behaviour techniques.
The course offers participants the opportunity to work on their own personal and work situations, where they want to be more assertive. As a result, participants leave our assertiveness skills training equipped with some effective, practised strategies for achieving a more successful outcome.
This course is ideal for people looking to take more control of their working and/or personal life. The training includes techniques and strategies to help delegates become more confident and assertive to achieve their desired outcome, when communicating with others.
By the end of this one-day assertiveness course, the participants will have:
- Recognised the three main categories of behaviour, their advantages and disadvantages and how to best respond to them
- Tried a wide range of assertiveness techniques to help them to become more assertive in the workplace
- Created an action plan to enable them to build on their new assertiveness skills going forward
Introducing the Assertiveness Skills Toolkit
- Facilitator presentation and participant personal introductions
Understanding what makes people assertive and their benefits
- Types of behaviours
- Benefits, advantages and disadvantages of each type of behaviour
- Internal beliefs and their impact
- Rights and responsibilities
- Expressing your desired outcome
- Rotating flipchart group work, facilitated group review, individual questionnaire, pairs exercise and group discussion
Using assertive communication
- Words and phrases to avoid
- Positive phrasing
- Importance and impact of positive body language and voice tone
- Updating the Assertiveness Skills Toolkit
- Practice writing assertive response on personal scenario
- Demonstration and presentation, individual and pairs exercise and practice, facilitated group review
Further techniques for developing assertiveness
- Fogging and broken record technique
- Ways of saying ‘no’
- Giving feedback
- Presentation, Metaplanning and small group exercise, facilitated group review
Responding to other behavioural styles
- Appreciating the impact of the different styles of behaviour on each other
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection and action planning exercise, facilitated group review
The training will be supported with:
- Optional participant pre-course reading to prepare for the assertiveness skill training
- A participant journal with tips, assertiveness techniques and space for personal notes. For a sustainable solution, we offer editable journals for online use
- Participant and Manager Coaching Guide
Testimonials from previous attendees
One of th best courses I have been on.
Excellent. The trainer was absolutely fantastic.
Excellent course and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Very helpful, good interaction with other participants, so not threatening. Lots of practical ideas to implement straight away.
Great – very practical – it was good having a small group as felt easy to share.